I was recently lumped with the task of verifying iLO ports across our fleet of HP servers. This involved several mind-numbingly tedious tasks, perfect for some Powershell love. The idea was pretty simple: take a list of servers, verify that they were still in production use, and then verify if iLO is working on them.
It started off with a simple ping command, pinging the server and then pinging the iLO interface. The problem I quickly came across was the fact that about a third of the iLO interfaces hadn't been registered in DNS, so would not resolve to an IP. So I added a bit more robust reporting around this rather than just failing with an exception being thrown.
Having added the hostnames in DNS, I found a lot of missing information in the IP management tool, which lead me to decide that I probably needed to consider that some IPs may have been reused unintentionally. I realised I should verify that what I'm pinging is actually an iLO interface. Luckily, there is an XML document available on the iLO website that will tell you what type of iLO it is. Checking this was a simple WebClient download.
And to finish it all of I gave it the usual XML/XSL treatment, to make reading the results a bit easier. Overall I think it came out quite handy. No doubt there are other tools to do the job, but a couple of hours worth of work saved several hours more, so it worked out anyway.
The end result can be found here.
Edit: Helps if you actually upload the file...