Another year has rolled by, and another “I’ve updated my website” post! This time, we’ve gone full circle to the old days of the Internet and gone back to static web pages…sort of. There’s still some dynamic elements, powered by Javascript- most notably the contact form and comments.

DHCP Fail...Over

One of the great features of Server 2012 R2 is the concept of DHCP Failover. Unfortunately, one of the crappy features of this is that DHCP reservations are not automatically synced between failover partners, unlike scope configuration and leases. Seems odd that the one thing that has personally caused headaches amongst DHCP administrators- the laziness of other admins not creating reservations in split scopes- was left out, but anyway…

Automated backups of vCenter Server Appliance (VCSA)

Having recently had a vCenter Appliance database corrupt following an all paths down scenario, I went looking for a way to backup the database. I found KB2034505, which details the steps of doing exactly that! The only issue with this approach is that it is a one-off process. However, since the VCSA is just a Linux appliance, we can leverage this to implement a cron task to backup regularly.

RVTools 3.7 Released

After over a year since the last update, RVTools 3.7 is here! If you don’t already use this fantastic tool, now is a great time to start :)

Implementing Microsoft CA-issued SSL for vCOps

After deploying the vCSA with SSL certs, I decided it was time to finally fix up all the other services that are running on self-signed certs. Next up, vRealize Operations Manager AKA vCenter Operations (vCOps). Although there is a KB Article for this, it is pretty limited.

Manually set proxy details for vCSA

If you have ever had to setup a proxy server on the vCenter Server appliance, you will fast run into some limitations when it comes to the username field.For example, our service accounts are named with the “svc_” prefix, which is apparently invalid due to the underscore. The solution? just set the proxy details from the commandline!


Long ago, I posted my DFS replication report. This has had a lot of interest of the years, but has not been maintained much in the last few. Enter vCheck, the HTML report framework that I mentioned in one of my previous posts.


If you have visited my blog before, you may have noticed something different. I’ve been kicking around the idea of updating my blog for quite some time, and finally got around to doing just that.

Filling the gaps

It appears that a few of my previous posts were not visible on my blog. I’ve just published these so there isn’t such a massive gap in posts (whoops!). At least it wasn’t quite a year gap since the previous post…